Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Twinings

Love is amazingly powerful. I suppose I've always been aware of this, it is not a new revelation. But by the same token, I do find myself reminded all the time of how true it really is.

Today I celebrated the second day of my boys' return to school by just sitting down and reading a book. I rarely have the luxury, so I took this opportunity. I had purchased the book, 'The Mermaid Chair' by Sue Monk Kidd and I curled up on my couch with a nice cold, iced tea and began reading. Wow. What an amazing writer she is...and what an incredibly well told story with so many seeds of human truth sown throughout it.

The characters in her story reminded me of my close-knit group of friends. Some of them very recently experienced very similar life changes as did her characters. So I would suppose I felt more than an average connection to the story.

I thought of how love can spring you free of stagnancy...how I've watched one friend throw off her shackles and how I've seen both the difficulties she struggled with initially, but how she is now so much happier. It's wonderful to see the sparkle in her eyes again...and to see her creativity flourishing.

I thought about my own struggles. I've had two failed relationships, and a childhood strewn with the rubble you might expect from a less than healthy upbringing. But now I am truly blessed with the most wonderful husband and partner in life. A man who doesn't try to restrain me, but celebrates with me my creative freedom. He understands that the artistic me needs to spread her wings and fly...but that I always come back to my nest...happier, healthier and more in love with him than ever.

In the container of my heart, I hold the love of two sparkling-eyed, rambunctious, creative and intelligent boys...whose hugs and kisses and laughter are the best remedy for anything that ails me.

I've sat as a spectator and watched love act as a motivator, I've seen it become the impetus that frees souls. I've felt it wrapping itself around me like a quilt of comfort and I've watched it become the center of my beautiful home. I will always remind myself and be eternally thankful for what an amazing and powerful gift love is. It changes hearts, it persuades thoughts, it refreshes the soul.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully! This is a lovely post :)